It’s gift-giving time! And I LOVE giving books as presents!
So I’ve compiled a list of Children’s books that contain knitting (or spinning or weaving or yarn… but it’s mostly knitting)! Not all of these books is about knitting, but yarn gets either a mention or an illustrated appearance!
Some of these we already own… but I’ll tell you, I added quite a few to Maddie’s Wish List! Thanks so much to everyone who chimed in on Twitter and Facebook to contribute their faves!
This post contains affiliate links to amazon.
Books for Small Children (to 3 years)
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd
- Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon
- Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
- Squid and Octopus, Friends for Always by Tao Nyeu
- Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
- The Mitten and The Hat by Jan Brett
- Don’t Worry Hugless Douglas! by David Melling
- Stanley the Amazing Knitting Cat by Emily MacKenzie
- Knitty Kitty by David Elliott
- Noodle’s Knitting by Sheryl Webster
- Hank and Gracie Save the Day by Stacy Klaus
Books for Bigger Children (4 – 8 years)
- Henry’s Hat, Phoebe’s Sweater, and Freddie’s Blanket by Joanna Johnson
- Milo Armadillo by Jan Fearnley
- Edmund Unravels by Andrew Kolb
- The Truly Horrible Sweater… That Grandma Knit by Debbie Macomber & Mary Lou Carney
- Extra Yarn by Matt Barnett
- Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski
- Knitting Nell by Julie Jersild Roth
- The Mitten String by Jennifer Rosner
- Kiki’s Hats by Warren Hanson
- The Cloud Spinner by Michael Catchpool
- Shall I Knit You a Hat? by Kate Klise
- Annie and the Swiss Cheese Scarf by Alana Dakos
- Ned the Knitting Pirate by Diana Murray
- A Hat for Mrs. Goldman: a Story about Knitting and Love by Michelle Edwards
- Leave Me Alone! by Very Brosgol
- Charlie Needs a Cloak by Tomie dePaola
- Martha Moth Makes Socks by Cambria Evans
- Zadie and Plain Vanilla, the Rainbow Alpaca, Save Christmas by Barbara Blount Ziek
I’m not the first one to put together a list of books of children’s books featuring knitting! Check out these other lists!
- Best Knitted-Themed Books for Kids by Knitted Bliss
- Knitting in Kid’s Books on Goodreads
Any I’ve left out? What’s your fave?
As the mother of three grown children (27,29 & 31), I applaud you in posting a book list. Every Christmas my kiddos were each given a new book that circled around their interests. I think this year I am going to re-visit that tradition. THank you for the idea.
I’m always happy to share my love of books! 🙂
Leave Me Alone is the best ever, but my second favourite is Derek the Knitting Dinosaur. It’s out of print but well worth tracking down on Abebooks! A gorgeous rhyming story about non-conformity (especially of the not-rowdy-boy variety).
ooh, thanks for that suggestion!
Have you read any of Tamora Pierce’s Circle of Magic series? It follows a quartet of adolescents with magical powers, and one of them is a spinner – she starts with spinning thread, but eventually learns to spin magic as well, including weaving together the powers of her friends to get them out of a tight spot!
I haven’t, but that sounds lovely!
Pingback: Lovely Links fiber and otherwise – Christine Guest Designs Blog