Here you’ll find all the free sewing lessons and tutorials. They’re arranged by subject so you can work your way through the lessons in a systematic way.
There are some general sewing lessons, but most of these tutorials are specific to sewing dolls, doll clothes, and stuffed animals.
Remember – all Shiny Happy World patterns have links to all the tutorials you need right in the pattern. You can purchase any pattern and work through it like a workshop.
Tools and Supplies
- Choosing Fabric for Beginners
- Do You Need to Prewash Your Fabric?
- How to Sew Napped Fabrics
- How to Make Your Own Laminated Fabric
- Stretch Fabrics
- Faux Fur
Working with Your Pattern
Sewing with a Machine
Sewing Clothing (Including for Dolls)
Skills for Sewing Dolls and Stuffed Animals
- How to Embed Parts in Seams
- How to Stuff a Softie
- How to Turn a Tube of Fabric Right Side Out
- How to Give Your Softies Flat Feet and Flat Bottoms
- How to Stitch a Smile on a Finished Softie
- How to Give Your Doll Freckles
- How to Needle Sculpt Softie Toes
- How to Sew a Button Joint
- How to Make a Topsy Turvy Doll
- How to Give a Softie Stand-Up Ears
- Using Buttons for Softie Eyes
- How to Use Safety Eyes
- How to Paint Your Own Craft Eyes
- Tips for Dark Eyes on a Dark Softie
- Using Safety Eyes with Woven Fabric
- Getting the Eyes Just Right
- What Kind of Eyes Should I Use?
- How to Machine Stitch Eyes (without an embroidery machine)
- Embroidery Machine Files for Machine-Stitched Eyes
- How to Make Double Fold Binding
- How to Join Strips with a Diagonal Seam
- How to Miter Corners with Double Fold Bias Tape
- How to Sew Boxed Corners
- How to Topstitch and Edgestitch
- How to Embed Rickrack in a Seam
- How to Macrame