“Just make a mark and see where it takes you.”
That’s one of my favorite lines from my very favorite book about creativity – THE DOT by Peter Reynolds. (That’s an affiliate link.)
It’s also the inspiration behind the start of my creative practice for the new year – and I’m inviting you to join me in this 31-day challenge.
Make a dot!
Make a dot every day in January and see where it takes you. Use a different medium every day – or use this as an opportunity to explore one medium you’ve always wanted to try (or get better at).
You can do anything! Crayons! Pastels! Paint! Collage! Embroider! Applique! Clay! Photography! Jewelry!
Post a photo of your creation on Instagram and tag it #dailydot2020. (You’ll be able to see all my dots here.)
If you’re looking for some inspiration, here are a few links for you.
- The Dot by Peter Reynolds – seriously my favorite book about one girl’s path from “I just can’t draw” to “I am an artist.” It makes me teary every time.
- If you’re an Amazon Prime member you can watch a lovely animated version of the story here.
- What the heck – get the whole “Creatrilogy” from Peter Reynolds – three books about creativity, the beauty of imperfection, and creative inspiration.
- Start with a Dot – a guided journal with all kinds of fun prompts “whether you’re a timid beginner or a seasoned artist who needs a creative jolt to keep fresh and recharge.”
- I have a Pinterest board here jam-packed full of gorgeous circles, ovals, and scallops.
I can’t wait to see what everyone makes. There are soooooo many possibilities in a simple dot!
Happy Almost-New Year!