You’ve got your machine and all your tools and you’re ready for the fun part – picking out the fabric. Woo hoo! What you might not know is that some fabrics are a dream to work with – and some are a nightmare.
This video gives you some tips on how to choose fabric for a beginning sewist. Hint: It’s not the velvet and satin! At least not for beginners. After you have some of the basics under your belt we’ll have a few special lessons on working with all the “tricky” fabrics I mention. You will learn to sew with velvet – just not for your first project. 🙂
Want to jump ahead to working with some of those “fancy” fabrics? Here are links to some lessons. . .
- Working with stretch fabrics
- Working with napped fabrics (velvet, corduroy and more)
- Intraux to Faux Fur
- Sewing fat polar fleece
- Tips and Tricks for Working with Cuddle Fleece
And I have a whole bunch of info about working with felt – one of my favorite fabrics.
If you’re looking for specific info about choosing fabrics (and colors) for a quilt, here are some helpful posts for you.
- How to Choose Fabric (and Colors) for a Quilt
- How to Applique with Fleece and Fur
- How to Applique with Satin
- How to Applique with Shiny Fabric (like metallic tissue lamé)
Now that you know how to choose fabric that will be easy to work with – pick a project and start sewing! There are a bunch of free patterns here.