I usually follow these steps to make any of my Quilt As You Go applique quilts. . .
- cut quilt blocks (and batting) 11 inches square
- quilt the blocks
- applique the blocks
- outline stitch the applique
- trim quilt blocks 10 1/2 inches square
- sew the quilt blocks together
- press seams open
- baste to backing
I’ve had several requests for more information about step 5 – specifically a video showing how to square and trim quilt blocks. It’s actually really easy – if you have the right tools.
Here’s how. . .
I don’t have very many rotary cutting rulers – but this is one that I really can’t imagine doing without. I highly recommend it if you do any quilting at all.
This is the exact ruler that I use to trim quilt blocks – the one you see in the video. It’s not inexpensive, but Joann’s always seems to have a good coupon and that can make a big difference. 🙂
For bigger quilt blocks (like the ones in this free Polaroid Quilt Block Tutorial) I use an even bigger ruler – one that’s a whopping 20 1/2 inches square! It’s a little unwieldy, so I only use it for the bigger blocks.
Here are my posts about trimming quilt blocks.
- How to Trim Finished Quilt Blocks
- How to Clean a Fuzzy Cutting Mat – trimming finished blocks WILL make your mat fuzzy
- Quilt Block Sizes for Alternate Grid Layouts
And here are my posts about how to assemble Quilt As You Go Blocks
- How to Join Quilt As You Go Blocks
- How to Assemble and Finish Your Quilt As You Go Quilt
- How to Assemble a Quilt that Uses an Alternate Grid
Finished with this topic?
Return to the Let’s Make a Quilt main Table of Contents.
Move on to the lessons about basting and final quilting.
Thank you. Great video on squaring up!
I Wendi and thank you very much! 🙂
Excellent video. I have never known the correct way to use this ruler to correctly square up my blocks.
Thank you, Wendy!. I’m excited to use your dinosaur pattern. All your videos have been very helpful.
I have have been sewing a long time but have never tried Applique. Your tutorials are so helpful and so clear! Thank you for making me very confident before I even begin!