Use the discount code SILLY to get your first month of the Funny Faces Quilt Block of the Month Club for free!


The U Stitch – video

How to Embroider U-Stitch - a video tutorial from Shiny Happy World

Let’s call this one a U stitch.

I’ve searched through all of my embroidery encyclopedias and can’t find this stitch mentioned in any of them, so I have no idea what it’s called. I always think of it as a U stitch, so that’s what I’m calling it here. If any of you know the official name, please chime in in the comments!

The U stitch stitch is worked exactly the same way as a lazy daisy, but instead of a closed petal, it’s an open U. It’s almost a fly stitch, but the holding stitch at the bottom of the U is tinier than it is in fly stitch.

It’s really easy and makes great feathers, scales and petals. I used it for the wings on these hens.

See? Doesn’t the U stitch make perfect little wings?

Get the free pattern to make your own felt chicken here.

Here are all my lessons for other stitches.

Return to the Learn to Embroider main Table of Contents.

Move on to the lessons about finishing your work.


  1. Thank you for posting this video. It was so easy to understand. I love your blog.

  2. Wendi, your “U” stitch is called the “fly” stitch 🙂

    • It’s certainly very similar – but I learned that the fly stitch is pulled tighter so the sides are straight (not curved in a U) and the little anchor stitch at the end is longer. I did that video here.

      I think this is one of the reasons I don’t “do” a lot of different stitches. You get to a point where they’re all the same thing with just the tiniest variations and I find myself wondering if it’s really a new stitch at all. 🙂

  3. Sandi SAYS...

    This looks like the feather stitch, but I can’t be too sure. embroidery is new to me. I am learning as this year’s summer project with my kids. I’m glad I found your site, it is very helpful!

    • wendigratz SAYS...

      It’s very similar to feather stitch, but there the loop that holds the bottom of the U in place becomes the top of the next U.

  4. Hi Wendi,
    I have an old book (The Constance Howard Book of Stitches) where it seems to suggest that this stitch is called the “Detached Fly” stitch. However, I like your name for it much better : )
    Lesley from Scotland

    • wendigratz SAYS...

      It’s REALLY similar to the detached fly stitch, but on that one the anchor stitch is bigger – making a little line at the bottom like the down stroke of a Y. 🙂