I knit. I crochet. I spin. I’ve tatted. I’ve tried almost every needlecraft I’ve ever heard of… except for weaving.
Why the gap in my fiber experience? I’ve always thought weaving was a little bit scary. There’s a warp, a weft and a lot of technique. It all seemed really complicated. And looms are usually big and non-portable.
That’s why I was super excited when I got a chance to try the Zoom Loom.
The Zoom Loom is a portable weaving loom. It’s fitted with pins that (along with the instruction manual) tell you exactly how to wind your yarn and where to do the weaving.
Look at me, I’m weaving!
Why I love the Zoom Loom
The instruction booklet that comes with the Zoom Loom is easy to follow, and I was super excited to weave an adorable little square on my first try!
Isn’t it pretty?
The great features about the loom are:
- it is small
- the pins on the loom show you exactly where/how to do the weaving
- each square requires a precise amount of yarn, meaning you can wind small balls in advance
- the instructions are very easy to follow!
But… it’s not a complete substitute for a full loom
I enjoyed making my small square, and The Woolery’s webpage has suggestions for turning these squares into bigger projects.
However, the Zoom Loom isn’t a substitute for a full loom. Some things I noticed:
- because the pins are fixed, each ‘weave’ is a fixed space apart. My piece made with sock-weight yarn feels a little flimsy, and I suspect a bulky would not fit.
- if you’re looking for a project to throw into your purse, you might be disappointed. Although more portable than a regular loom, you cannot simply stop in the middle of winding the warp and head out.
- you are limited to 4″x4″ squares. Although there are project suggestions, every project is composed of small squares.
Go forth and start weaving!
Gostaria de receber publicaÃ§Ãµes tudo muito lindo
I am so gonna try to buy this. Zoom Loom looks alot like the loom I had when I was a child
Did your yarn come like that or did you have to change colors? Thanks, I’m new at this but so excited to jump in!