In these Quilt As You Go videos I showed the lines I was stitching on paper. I did this so you could get a bird’s-eye overview of the whole block instead of seeing it at an angle as it is in the machine. (You can see the video on straight line stripes here.)
But I’ve had several people ask for a video showing exactly how I sew these patterns at the machine. They want to know. . .
- What kind of needle are you using?
- How are you basting the block? Pins? Spray baste?
- Are you using special thread?
- What stitch length are you using?
- What are you using to mark the lines?
So here’s a video with all those answers! This one shows how I do Quilt As You Go with straight lines – all the basic stripes and grids that I love so much.
In the video I promised to show a gallery of quilt as you go designs – a menu of sorts that you can refer to when you’re looking for ideas. Here that is. If you click on any image you can see it a little bigger.
I almost always quilt my blocks before I applique. Some of these blocks are shown after the applique is added, but I did the quilting first. You can do it in any order you like, but if you quilt after you applique you have to go around the shapes. I show more about how to do that in this gallery of QAYG videos.
Ready? Jump in and have fun! Quilt as You Go stripes and grids are super fun and easy. 🙂
If you’re not excited about quilting without any markings, take a look at these fabric squares printed with my favorite quilt designs. They may be just what you want!
Here are links to all the posts about cutting your blocks.
- How to Use Rotary Cutting Tools
- Do You Need to Pre-Wash Your Fabric?
- Basic Quilt Block Cutting and Quilting Instructions
- How to Make Easy Landscape Blocks
- Quilt Block Sizes for Alternate Grid Layouts
Here are links to all the posts about quilting your blocks.
- Stripes and Grids
- Wavy Stripes and Grids
- A Gallery of Additional Quilt As You Go Designs
- Fabric with the Quilting Lines Already Printed on It
Finished with this topic?