I get two questions a lot when people are ready to start outlining on my face applique patterns.
- How do you stitch around small parts like eyes and noses?
- How do you stitch the mouth?
I made a video to show exactly how I do both of those steps!
Remember. . .
- Shorten your stitch length.
- Go slow!
- Stop with the needle down and pivot your work as often as you need to to keep a smooth curve.
This post shows my favorite sewing machine feet – include the clear applique foot I use to get good visibility. That’s essential if you want to neatly outline applique pieces.
If you like that adorable sloth face I used in the demo, get the Silly Sloths applique pattern here. It’s one of my easiest patterns – great for beginners!
Here are links to all my posts about outline stitching.
- How to Topstitch and Edgestitch
- How Durable Is Straight Stitching?
- In What Order Do I Stitch?
- Stitching Eyes and Mouths – with lots of help for stitching tight curves
- Tips for Scribbly Outlining
- Playing with Thread Weight
Finished with this topic?