I get a lot of requests about adding sashing to Quilt As You Go quilts. I’ve got a tutorial here showing how to add traditional sashing to a QAYG quilt, like this.
But my favorite method is actually to add fake WONKY sashing to my blocks. That makes blocks that dance around in your quilt, tipping slightly in different directions. It makes the appliques look like they’re peeking out of slightly Seussian windows. 🙂
It’s really easy to do! Here’s a video showing how. . .
Here are those dimensions. . .
- Cut your background blocks 10 1/2 inches square
- Cut your batting 13 inches square (you’ll trim it later to 12 1/2 inches square)
- Cut your strips for the sashing 2 1/2 inches wide
And here are the rest of the links I promised. . .
- Let’s Make a Quilt – free video workshop teaching my Quilt As You Go and applique with fusible adhesive method
- Horse block video and horse applique pattern
- How to trim blocks to size
Of course – once you make some wonky sashing to frame your applique, your next step will be to sometimes make your applique bust out of its frame – like these silly monsters.
That’s what you’ll learn in this video. 🙂