Here you’ll find all the free applique and quilting lessons and tutorials. They’re arranged by subject so you can work your way through the lessons in a systematic way.
I use a combination of Quilt As You Go and applique with fusible adhesive for all my quilts, so I’ve grouped all those lessons and tutorials first. You can work your way through these lessons using any of my applique patterns.
The QAYG and Fusible section is followed by additional lessons for different applique methods, more traditional piecing and quilting, and some sewing room organization tips.
Remember – all Shiny Happy World patterns have links to all the tutorials you need right in the pattern. You can purchase any pattern and work through it like a workshop.
Let’s Make a Quilt
What Is Quilt As You Go
Basic Tools – the stuff you use for all your quilts
Supplies – the stuff that gets used up
- Do You Need to Pre-Wash Your Fabric?
- How to Choose Fabric for a Quilt
- Using Fabric Print Wisely
- Applique with Prints – tips for color choices
- Why Spoonflower Fabric?
- How to Fill-a-Yard on Spoonflower – the best way to buy small amounts of lots of different fabrics – great for stash building
- Cuddle Fleece
- My Favorite Batting
- How to Piece Batting Scraps – a thrifty tip
- Fusible Adhesive
- Putting Fusible Adhesive to the Test
- Which Product Do I Use When? Freezer Paper, Fusible Adhesive, or Sulky Sticky Fabri-solvy?
Preparing and Quilting Your Blocks
Cutting Your Blocks
Quilting Your Blocks
- I prefer to quilt my blocks before I applique. These posts show how I do that, along with lots more info. Start with them.
- Some people prefer to quilt after they applique. This post features a gallery of lots of quilt patterns with video instructions showing you how to work those patterns around applique you’ve already done. Of course, you can also stitch these designs before you applique.
Applique with Fusible Adhesive
- How to Applique with Fusible Adhesive – a very basic intro
- Fusible Applique the Easy Way – the way I currently work – use with all my newest patterns
- How to Use a Light Box to Layer Your Applique – perfect placement every time
- How to Applique with Fusible Adhesive – photo tutorial for my original method
- How to Applique with Fusible Adhesive – video tutorial for my original method
- Everything You Need to Know about How to Applique
- Easy Eye Options for Applique
- Using Fabric Markers and Paints for Small Eyes
- Embroidery Files for Machine-Stitched Eyes
- How to Machine Stitch Eyes – even if you don’t have an embroidery machine
- How to Minimize Show-Through on White Eyes
- How to Applique Dark Eyes on Dark Faces
- How to Topstitch and Edgestitch
- How Durable Is Straight Stitching?
- In What Order Do I Stitch?
- Stitching Eyes and Mouths – with lots of help for stitching tight curves
- Tips for Scribbly Outlining
- Playing with Thread Weight
Extra Fancy Applique
- Working with Nontraditional Fabrics
- Adding 3D Pieces
- How to Give Your Monster an Underbite
- Fake Trapunto Applique
- Broderie Perse Applique
- How to Couch by Machine
Putting It All Together!
Trim Your Blocks
- How to Trim Finished Quilt Blocks
- How to Clean a Fuzzy Cutting Mat – trimming finished blocks WILL make your mat fuzzy
Sewing Your Blocks Together
Alternate Layouts and Settings
- Play with Your Layouts – multiple possibilities for one quilt pattern
- How to Make Your Applique Bust Out of Its Frame
- Alternate or Broken Grid Layouts (adding half and double blocks)
- How to Make an Applique Rag Quilt
Finish Your Quilt
Binding and Finishing
Other Quilting Tutorials
Hand Quilting and Big Stitch Quilting
Other Applique Methods
Studio and Organization
Furniture, Tools, and Organization